Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tool Repair

The days are short in the north winter. The temps dive to the bottom of the thermometer flask, and the night winter air seems to stab at you more than any other time of year. I have a pile of gardening and seed catalogs always close by with wonderful pictures of ripe harvest products. I decided that if I look at too many pretty pictures, I will want to move south, and get a jump on spring planting! If you have not obtained your spring seed, yes it is past time for that. Not that you will be planting really soon, but some seeds may already be sold out. Make your selections early, and assure yourself of the seeds you will need for the coming year. Better yet is to have saved your own seed from your previous crops. We are saving more and more of our seed, and look forward to being seed independent.

So what should we be doing in these cold winter nights? Tool repair.

Now is a good time to clean, sharpen and oil the tools. I suggest a wooden handle rub to keep the wood in good condition. I have a small hammer that had some considerable summer abuse, and whose wooden neck is broken in two. This is an ideal project to fill some evening time, and return the tool to service, as good as new again.

You may want to organize your tools as well, and come up with a way to keep them orderly and neatly arranged.

If you like me find yourself straying back to the seed catalogs; consider making a planting schedule and crop rotation map, so you have a plan on where and when for your spring and summer planting goals.

It is only mid January, and I am thinking about playing in the dirt. Spring will not come too soon, I am sure. Get ready, and stay active in the dark nights of winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment