Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Hi again! Welcome to anyone who happens upon this archive of ideas. Some of the internal records keeping pages I have been keeping up to date, specifically the fruit trees (as they die and we replant.) I come back for reference, and perhaps others do as well.

Looking back over the years cataloged by this blog brings back good memories. It was enjoyable and a family activity with my wife and two teen age boys still at home. Now they are honing in on their life work, and lifting their own sails.

The children of our close friends are forming significant relationships and one marries this summer. In some number of years, our boys will likely start their own families, and the empty nest will come. Fascinating to think about it. Did my grandparents ever think forward to my experience? Did they know how messed up my world would become? (Environmentally, socially, religiously... the love of many has waxed cold.) Or did they expect heaven to be a reality by this time? I ponder what will come in the next 5 or 10 years. What changes will we my sons face then?

What is the true definition of success? Is it in having a lot of things? Or is it in work that is meaningful and has eternal consequences? What last remaining nudges are most important for my sons, as two ships edge further from the dock, and out of reach. They will sail fine, but I wonder about their partner, their soul mates, the pains they will face and what will be the destiny they leave behind. I am sure I should have done many things differently. But I hope enough was right. I don’t hope for them an easy life, but I do hope for a happy one. A life that serves other people, and makes those other people happy. And not just happy for a few hours (as a comedian would do), but to lead people to be happy for eternity.

It would be cool if a grandson or great grandson found this note and blog. I would enjoy talking with you about the fun my boys have been. I only hope for you the best, and that none of my character flaws have passed to you. I never knew my granddad. And my father passed when my boys were rather young. I likely won’t get to have that in person visit, but know that I have been thinking of you, and would have loved to have done it.

As I write we have passed the first day of spring, and some early wild flowers are out. My prayer for you my chance reader is that you will accept the seasons of life with anticipation and joy. Look heavenward, for your redemption draws closer each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment